Super Bowl Trailer Smackdown
Skip the football? Us too. Here’s every movie teaser you missed when you weren’t watching Super Bowl LIII…
- Avengers: Endgame The big one. The one we’ve all been waiting for. The culmination of 11 years of world-building. So what did we learn? Well, Cap’s got his shield back, Thor’s made it to Thanos’ farm and the Purple One’s paradise is not what was promised. Oh, and Rocket appears to have joined the Avengers.
- Captain Marvel A bit disappointing. Very little of the footage was new and what was didn’t give much away. We got to see Carol pallying up with fellow fighter pilot Maria Rambeau (Lashana Lynch). Then Sam Jackson got a bit excited during take-off. Finally, Captain Marvel punched her way through a plane, seriously. Where’s Air Traffic Control when you need them?
- Hobbs & Shaw The bad guy’s called Brixton because he’s from London. Seriously, Americans…
- Toy Story 4 So Bo Peep’s back, Woody’s looking whistful and Buzz has been stolen by an adult in a strange profession (fairground owner). Isn’t that basically the same plot as Toy Story 2?
- Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark Oscar winner Guillermo Del Toro is going back to his roots and they’re as delightfully creepy as ever. Based on Alvin Schwartz’s iconic children’s books, the director’s new horror sees him on writing duties and not behind the camera. Four 15-second teasers dropped during the Super Bowl – each as unnerving as the last.
- Us Jordan Peele’s follow-up to Get Out could be better than its predecessor. If the latest trailer is anything to go by, that is. Lupita Nyongo’o is on top, wide-eyed form and Winston Duke – aka M’baku from Black Panther – wisely cracks no jokes at all. Watch the trailer and you’ll understand why.
- Alita: Battle Angel Early reviews are mixed for this Manga-action movie mash-up, but we’re not surprised. The Japanese comic book -style rarely translates well to the big screen (Ghost In The Shell, anyone?) and James Cameron hasn’t made a good movie since 2003.
- Wonder Park We only included this so we had the set.